Interested in playing music? Join the “School of Rock” Guitar Club for a chance to learn how to play guitar and jam out with fellow musicians. We will learn together, perform, and record. All skill levels welcomed, from beginner to virtuoso.
- When: Thursdays, 3:00-4:30pm
- Where: Miguel Contreras LC, Room 4012
Click for more information on ALC Leadership Development.
Your Writing Task: Maus is a true memoir of people surviving during wartime. What can we as readers learn from this story? In at least a five-paragraph essay, describe a theme (lesson, moral) that this graphic novel reveals. Include textual details from the stories to back up your ideas.
Essay Prompt: Do students need to “struggle” in order to learn? According to the article, what are the benefits of students learning on their own? What should the role of the teacher be in the classroom?
- Clear thesis/main argument
- Must include at least 3+ quotes from the article (integrated correctly, use sentence starters)
- Explain/analyze the importance of each quote (use sentence starters)
- At least 3+ well-developed paragraphs!
“Work Your Mind” Article from Time For Kids (Authors: Annie Murphy Paul and Stephanie Kraus, 4/25/12)
Sentence starters to introduce quotes:
- X states, “…”
- According to X, “…”
- In X’s view, “…”
- X agrees when she writes, “…”
- X disagrees when he writes, “…”
Sentence starters to explain/analyze quotes:
- In other words, X believes ____.
- In making this comment, X urges us to _____.
- X’s point is that _____.
- The essence of X’s argument is that ____.
(Sentence starters above from the book, “They Say / I Say” by Gerald Graff, Cathy Birkenstein and Russel Durst)
Online resources for the three means of Persuasion, according to Aristotle: Logos, Ethos and Pathos.