Essay Prompt: Do students need to “struggle” in order to learn? According to the article, what are the benefits of students learning on their own? What should the role of the teacher be in the classroom?
- Clear thesis/main argument
- Must include at least 3+ quotes from the article (integrated correctly, use sentence starters)
- Explain/analyze the importance of each quote (use sentence starters)
- At least 3+ well-developed paragraphs!
“Work Your Mind” Article from Time For Kids (Authors: Annie Murphy Paul and Stephanie Kraus, 4/25/12)
Sentence starters to introduce quotes:
- X states, “…”
- According to X, “…”
- In X’s view, “…”
- X agrees when she writes, “…”
- X disagrees when he writes, “…”
Sentence starters to explain/analyze quotes:
- In other words, X believes ____.
- In making this comment, X urges us to _____.
- X’s point is that _____.
- The essence of X’s argument is that ____.
(Sentence starters above from the book, “They Say / I Say” by Gerald Graff, Cathy Birkenstein and Russel Durst)