- Go to the ALC AR Website.
- Click “I’m a Student.”
- Type in your user name and password (if you forget your user name, click “Forgot your user name?“). Passwords are “abc.”
- Click “STAR Reading.”
- Monitor Password: Admin
- Click “Start.”
- This test is timed – try your best! This is your way to show your English teacher how well you’re reading.
- What is the key to student success?
- How can we design a school culture for student motivation?
- According to researchers, what is the best way for students to learn?
- What are the benefits of students learning on their own?
- What should be the role of the teacher in the classroom?
- What Keeps Students Motivated To Learn? (Katrina Schwartz, KQED News, 3/13/14)
- Because I’m Happy (Victoria Jones, Harvard, 3/26/15)
- Work Your Mind (Annie Murphy Paul and Stephanie Kraus, Time For Kids, 4/25/12)
- Video games vets to students (Marco Santana, Orlando Sentinel, 6/18/15)
- New Experiments in Self-Teaching (Sugata Mitra, TED Talk on YouTube, 7/10) Transcript in English or Spanish
- L.A. Unified retreats on higher graduation standards (Howard Blume, LA Times, 6/9/15)
- LAUSD summer school enrollment jumps 20 percent as graduate requirements get tougher (Annie Gilbertson, SCPR, 6/16/15)
Essay Writing Prompt:
Draw connections between Elijah Anderson’s “The Code of the Streets” and Luis Rodriguez’s Always Running. How is “The Code” a guide to the Rodriguez’s choices in East Los Angeles? What are the causes/effects and possible solutions for gang-affiliated youth in Los Angeles?
Cite both texts, using specific details in MLA Format. Include textual analysis.
Essay Writing Prompt: How much freedom and supervision should parents give their children? Are parents today too overprotective? Or is “free range” parenting a kind of neglect? Explain why. Write an argumentative essay, backing it up with textual details from the articles: “Are Modern Kids Coddled?” (Newsweek) and “Kids Solo Playtime” (NPR). Also refer to our class text, The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls.
- “Are Modern Kids Coddled?” (Newsweek)
- “Kids Solo Playtime” (NPR)
- Free-Range Kids
- “Free-range” parents cleared in 2nd child-neglect case (USA Today)
- ‘Free-range parenting’ advocate wages war against the belief that our kids are in constant danger (Raw Story)
- Maryland Officials: CPS Shouldn’t Interfere with ‘Free Range’ Kids (Parenting)
- Free-range kids: the upsides of relaxed parenting (San Jose Mercury News)
- Raising Risk-Takers: An Upside of Free-Range Parenting? (Huffington Post)
- American parenting has been misguided for decades — but one state is finally turning for the better (Business Insider)
- Free Range Parents Danielle and Alexander Meitiv Need to Stop Fighting and Put Kids’ Safety First (Huffington Post)
- Free Range Parenting: The Key Is Balance (Huffington Post)
- Used To Be (Huffington Post)
Persuasive Essay Writing Prompt: Should the LAPD institute a gang injunction for gangs in the Echo Park area? Why/Why not? Do you think this would be effective tool in stopping gang activity in the city? Does this violate peoples’ civil rights? Write a argumentative essay, backing it up with textual details from the following articles/videos. You may also refer to our class texts, Luis Rodriguez’s Always Running and Elijah Anderson’s “The Code of the Streets.”
- “Gang injunction granted in Echo Park” (LA Times)
- “LAPD begins serving Echo Park gang injunction papers” (KPCC)
- “L.A. Gang History Runs Deep” (LA Daily News)
- “Gang Injunctions” (LAPD)
- “Gangs” (LAPD)
- “Gang injunctions are useful tools – if they aren’t abused” (LATimes)
- “Labeling Latino Kids as Gangsters” (CounterPunch)
- “The Code of the Streets“ (Elijah Anderson, The Atlantic)
- “Echo Park Gang Injunction” (YouthCineMedia)
- “Gang Injunctions” (Alex Alonso, Streetgangs.com)
- “Is a Gang Injunction Needed in Echo Park?” (Which Way, LA? KCRW)
- “Valley Gang Injunction” (NBC News Los Angeles)
- “Community Invited to Discuss Possible Gang Injunction” (KEYT)
- “Gang Injunction: Problem or Solution?” (Making Contact, PRX)
- “Unconstitutional Gang Injunction” (KGTV)
- Trailer for Crips and Bloods: Made In America
- Trailer for LTO: License To Operate