Congrats to our Miguel Contreras Swim Team on their strong swimming at RFK Wednesday, 3/22! In our first league meet, our Cobras showed fight, spirit and teamwork. Keep up the great work!
- Research and plan out your future career path.
- Present your findings and research to the class.
- Create a Google Slides/Prezi slideshow as a visual aide.
- Include your sources/works cited (people interviewed, websites).
Research Content Criteria
- High School
- Which classes to focus on for future career path
- LD opportunities
- Extracurricular activities/jobs recommended
- College/Trade School
- Entrance exams: PSAT/SAT/ACT?
- Admission requirements, dates, grades, test scores, etc.
- Basic information about school (similar to college pennant)
- Cost per year
- Type: Private, Public, Community College, For-Profit
- Acceptance rate
- Major or area of focus (example: Biology)
- Financial Aid Opportunities – $$$
- Minimum of 3 specific sources for financial aid
- Possibilities: Grants (needs-based), scholarships, loans, work-study, job, out-of-pocket, etc.
- Post-College/Trade School
- Masters, Doctorate, Certification or other Degree, residency, training, etc.
- Job Information
- Average yearly salary/Hourly pay
- Living situation
Career Presentation Research Project:
Congratulations to our Contreras swim team on a great first meet of the 2017 season! Special shout-out to our rookies on their first meet ever and their new personal records. Looking forward to a great rest of the season! – Coach Nittle
Writing Prompt: Persepolis is a uniquely true story of a young woman “coming of age” during wartime. What can we as readers learn from this story? In a five-paragraph essay, describe the central theme (lesson, message) of this graphic novel. Include textual details from the story to back up your ideas.
- Well-organized multiple-paragraph essay.
- A clear thesis statement (main argument).
- Textual evidence with analysis (quotes must be cited with page numbers in MLA Format).
- Checked for spelling/grammar/mechanics.
You may also choose to use the following texts below in your essay:
- Iranian Poems of the Islamic Revolution
- 1979: Iran’s Islamic Revolution
- Iranian Revolution: Your memories
- “Persepolis battle in Chicago schools provokes outcry” (The Guardian, 3/19/13)
- “The Beautiful Reasons Why These Women Love Wearing A Hijab” (The Huffington Post, 5/11/16)
Handouts and Writing Resources:
- Persepolis Essay Criteria
- Persepolis Tree Map or Persuasion Map
- Persepolis Essay Rubric
- Persepolis Reading Comprehension Questions
- MLA Typing Guidelines
- Shmoop: Persepolis (themes, characters, summary, analysis, quizzes, etc.)