Consider the following two recent New York Times articles on the war in Syria and the United States’ possible intervention:
Complete a “Rhetorical Analysis.” Questions to consider:
- What is the main argument?
- Who is the audience?
- What appeals does the argument use (Logos, Ethos, Pathos)?
- Ethos: Who is making the argument? What authorities does it rely upon?
- Logos: What facts, reasoning, evidence are used?
- Whose interests does it serve? Who gains/loses by it?
- How is the argument organized?
- How does the language/style work to persuade the audience?
From Everything’s An Argument (Lumsford, Ruszkiewicz, Walters, 92-93).
Discussion Question: Do you believe the United States government should intervene (get involved) in the war in Syria?