Essay Prompt: What makes a speech effective and persuasive? Choose one speech from the book, Great Speeches of the 20th Century, and complete a rhetorical analysis essay. Consider the rhetorical appeals, devices, the audience, purpose and speaker. Include specific textual evidence to back up your claims.
Essay Final Draft Must Include:
- Clear Thesis/Claim
- Specific textual evidence, cited in MLA Format, explained and analyzed
- Elements of “SOAPStone” (Subject, Occasion, Audience, Purpose, Speaker, Tone)
- Discussion of author’s Text Structure
- Evaluate the author’s Rhetorical Appeals (Logos, Ethos, Pathos)
- Analyze rhetorical devices (use academic vocabulary from AP Language packet)
- A well-organized 2-3 page essay (Introduction, Body, Conclusion)
- Editing/Revision for spelling, grammar and conventions
- MLA Formatting (12 point, Times New Roman, Double Spaced, correct parenthetical citations)
- Rhetorical Devices Graphic Organizer (20 points)
- Rough Draft (40 points)
- Editing/Revision (20 points)
- Typed Final Draft, MLA Formatted (100 points)
Final Draft due Wednesday, November 13!