Essay Writing Prompt: What kinds of “wars” did the Tuskegee Airmen face and triumph over during World War II? How did they overcome these challenges? What is the legacy of the Tuskegee Airmen today? Write an essay, in which you argue the importance of the Tuskegee Airmen and their influence on race relations in the United States. Back up your ideas with specific textual details from articles, videos, and research.
Handouts and Writing Resources:
Reading Comprehension Questions:
- Describe how African Americans were treated in America during WWII.
- What challenges did the Tuskegee Airmen face in the military?
- Describe the mission of the Airmen during WWII? Why was this an important job?
- How successful were the Airmen during WWII?
- What is the legacy of the Tuskegee Airmen today?
- A Double War (Time For Kids)
- Tuskgee Airmen Profile (About.com)
- Flying High (Time For Kids)
- The Legacy of the Tuskegee Airmen (Smithsonian)
- Interview with Luther Smith (History Channel)
- Interview with David Gilmore (History Channel)
- Interview with Lt. William Campbell (History Channel)
- Legends of Tuskegee (National Park Service)
- Interview with George Lucas, director of Red Tails (The Daily Show)
- Tuskegee Airmen (Tuskegee University)
- The Tuskegee Airmen (1995 HBO Film, IMDB)
- Red Tails (2012 Film, IMDB)