Unit Essential Questions:
- Why have Asian Americans been targets of hate crimes and discrimination?
- How has the Asian American community responded to these incidents?
- How has the media portrayed Asian Americans? How have they responded to these incidents?
- How do discrimination and “microaggressions” affect minority groups in society?
- What can be done to prevent further discrimination and hate crimes in our society?
- Untold Stories Essay Contest (AAAJ)
- “A Family Educates to Prevent Hate Crimes: The Case of Joseph Ileto” (AAAJ)
- “Vincent Chin – Lily Chin: The Courage to Speak Out” (AAAJ)
- “Detroit News Columnist Trivializes Vincent Chin’s Murder and Its Legacy” (Stewart Kwoh, AAAJ)
- A Guide to Responding to Microagressions (Kevin Nadal)
- “What we all assume we know about the Vincent Chin case probably isn’t so” (Neal Rubin, The Detroit News)
- “Survivors mark 10th anniversary of Granada Hills shooting” (LA Times)
- “Ileto Family remembers Joseph Ileto, slain 15 years ago” (Inland Valley Daily Bulletin)
- “Why Vincent Chin Matters” (NYTimes)
- “The Rise of Asian Americans” (Pew Research)
- “Joseph Ileto Mural”
- “Ileto family talks about Joseph Ileto, victim of hate crime”
- “Clip of ‘Carry the Tiger to the Mountain’”
- “Vincent Who?” Interviews
- “Who Killed Vincent Chin” (1987)
- “Microaggressions: Comments that sting” (NYTimes)
- “Microaggressions: The little things people say”