Writing Prompts: Choose one of the following:
1. Anthem depicts a world of the future, a collectivist dictatorship in which even the word “I” has vanished. Discuss the hero’s struggle to free himself from collectivism. What makes his victory possible? In your essay, consider what Ayn Rand has to say in the excerpt titled “The Soul of an Individualist” from her novel The Fountainhead.
2. In Anthem, the City has numerous rules and controls. Why do these exist? What is their purpose? Do you think the society that Equality envisions creating at the end of the story would include any of these rules and controls? Explain why or why not.
3. Contrast Equality’s view of morality at the end of the novel to the morality exemplified by his society’s institutions, practices and officials. In your essay, consider what Ayn Rand has to say in these excerpts from her writings.
- Between 600-1200 words
- Well-organized multiple-paragraph essay.
- A clear thesis statement (main argument).
- Textual evidence with analysis (quotes must be cited with page numbers in MLA Format).
- Checked for spelling/grammar/mechanics.
- Typed in MLA Format (Times New Roman, 12 point, Double Spaced) in Google Classroom (classroom.google.com).
- X states, “_______.”
- According to X, “_______.”
- In X’s view, “_______.”
- In other words, X believes ____.
- In making this comment, X shows us that _____.
- X’s point is that _____.