Congratulations ALC Graduates! So proud of you all!
Great job to the School of Rock at the AAAJ Family Empowerment Festival this past weekend at CSULA. Shout out to Andy, Allen, Oswaldo, Marvin, Michael and Silva! Keep on rockin…
The School of Rock Guitar Club performed at Lincoln High School on March 31 to celebrate the legacies of Cesar Chavez and Philip Vera Cruz.
Thanks to AAAJ-LA for all your support!
Essay Writing Prompt: Farewell to Manzanar is a true memoir that describes one family’s experience in a Japanese American Internment Camp during WWII. What can we as readers learn from this story? In at least a five-paragraph essay, describe a theme (lesson, message) that this memoir reveals. Connect this theme to at least two other sources (article, film or poem) with a recurring message. Include textual evidence to back up your ideas.
Handouts and Writing Resources:
- Farewell to Manzanar Essay Criteria
- Farewell to Manzanar Tree Map or Persuasion Map
- MLA Typing Guidelines
- Farewell to Manzanar (Sparknotes)
- American Pastime (2007, IMDB)
- “Remembering the No-No Boys” (About.com)
- “Silence No More” (Kiku Funabiki)
- “George Takei Debuts on Broadway in ‘Allegiance'” (NPR)
- “Japanese Internment in America” (History Channel)
- “Japanese Relocation” (U.S. Office of War Information)
- “One Man Seeks Justice: Fred Korematsu v. United States” (Asian Americans Advancing Justice)
- “A Message from Karen Korematsu” (Korematsu Institute)
- “Korematsu and Civil Liberties” (Annenberg Classroom)
- “Pilgrimage” (Tadashi Nakamura)