Writing Prompt: Persepolis is a uniquely true story of a young woman “coming of age” during wartime. What can we as readers learn from this story? In a multi-paragraph essay, describe the central theme (lesson, message) of this graphic novel. Include textual details from the story to back up your ideas.
- Well-organized multiple-paragraph essay.
- A clear thesis statement (main argument).
- Textual evidence with analysis (quotes must be cited with page numbers in MLA Format).
- Checked for spelling/grammar/mechanics.
You may also choose to use the following texts below in your essay:
- Iranian Poems of the Islamic Revolution
- 1979: Iran’s Islamic Revolution
- Iranian Revolution: Your memories
- “Persepolis battle in Chicago schools provokes outcry” (The Guardian, 3/19/13)
- “The Beautiful Reasons Why These Women Love Wearing A Hijab” (The Huffington Post, 5/11/16)
Handouts and Writing Resources:
- Persepolis Essay Criteria
- Persepolis Tree Map or Persuasion Map
- Persepolis Essay Rubric
- Persepolis Reading Comprehension Questions
- MLA Typing Guidelines
- Shmoop: Persepolis (themes, characters, summary, analysis, quizzes, etc.)
- Course Hero: Persepolis Study Guide